Experience • Mentorship • Networking
Acceptance • Support
The O’Brien Veterinary Group externship program offers a unique range of possibilities, helping veterinary students add to their knowledge and skills with programs that cover various kinds of practice as well as experience in practice management and ownership. Our externships offer hands-on real-life experience in the veterinary field within a supportive team atmosphere. Your time with us will be meaningful and support solid career choices.
Candidates must be attending and/or graduating from a college of veterinary medicine, and must have completed their first year at a college or school of veterinary medicine.
Externs are welcome to stay eight to twelve weeks in the summer. Two-week externships are available during the school year (more if requested). Reimbursement for housing and food is $600 per week. Additionally, summer employment opportunities are available to third- and fourth-year students.
Externship highlights will include:
• Weekly Practice Level 10 Meetings: Professionally trained practice team meetings where you will discover the value of accountability and delegation.
• O’Brien Veterinary Group: Spend three days (one week upon request) in the company office side by side with the O’Brien team. We will be a great resource to you, teaching you essential successful practice skills from an ownership standpoint. This time will be experiences in, but not limited to, negotiation, financial analysis, the due diligence process, payroll processing, strategic partnership exposure. You will also be exposed to hiring, contacts, labor ratios, problem-solving, structuring wellness plans, recruitment strategy, marketing initiatives, COGS (cost of goods) management, OSHA compliance, guidelines to operating a veterinary practice, labor cost analysis, and points of accountability that influence practice growth.
The O’Brien Veterinary Group is based in Oakbrook, Illinois, with practices throughout the region.
To apply, eligible students must complete an application and include a resume and cover letter describing their interest. Information should be sent to: email@example.com
Externships are available in one to two week blocks in the areas of: emergency medicine, small animal medicine, feline specialty, and business management and practice ownership. Rotation to more than one area during an externship can be accommodated upon request.
Feline Medicine: Two externs annually
Location: Arlington Heights, Illinois
Web address: arlingtoncatclinic.com
Work hours will include four days a week Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m, Saturdays 9 a.m. to noon. Externs are expected to work 40 hours per week.
• How can time at a five-star feline specialty practice help you? You’ll learn about:
• Low-stress handling
• Behavior counseling
• Dietary counseling
• Feline diagnostics including chemistry, hematology, serology, urinalysis and parasite detection
• Dentistry including extractions, minor oral surgery and dental radiograph positioning and interpretation
• ECG on site and cardiology consultation.
• Anesthetics, practicing the safest most current pre-anesthetic medication and post-operative pain management
• Onsite pharmacy
Emergency Medicine: Two externs annually
Location: Highland, Indiana (short drive from Chicago), and Westville, Indiana
Web address: ncvec.com
Work hours and day of the week will vary depending on need and availability. Facilities are open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. Externs are expected to work 40 hours per week.
What can an AHAA certified, 24-hour, comprehensive emergency, critical care center offer you? Our emergency and critical care practice is affiliate of Purdue University, which gives access to most advanced, sophisticated veterinary research, methodologies and technologies. These include:
• Critical case exposure and training
• Emergency surgery
• 24/7 monitoring
• Recovery care and pain management
• Advanced diagnostics
• Digital radiology
• In-house veterinary laboratory
• Onsite pharmacy
Companion Animal Externship: Four externs annually, two locations
Location: Romeoville, Illinois, or Blue Island, Illinois
Web address: animalclinicofromeoville.com
Web address: bevlabanimalhospital.com
Work hours will include four days a week Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. to noon. Externs are expected to work 40 hours per week.
Why is time at our general practice so valuable? Find out about:
• Wellness plan exposure and understanding
• Preventive care
• Dentistry, extractions and minor oral surgery, digital dental positioning and interpretation
• Diagnostics including chemistry, hematology, serology, urinalysis and parasite detection
• Dermatology case work up and diagnosis
• Sick patient work-up, diagnosis and treatment plan
• Exotic care: birds, reptiles and pocket pets